Thursday, July 4, 2013

Too Hot to Handle

I know I haven't been blogging much but things have been a little busy and it has been really HOT!  My mother's expression was "hotter than a Depot stove"  this referred to the stoves actually in a train depot.  When I was little one of my babysitter's was this marvelous Italian-American lady and her husband.  He was the station master of the Land O' Lakes train depot.  There was a stove in the depot and they would fire them up very hot as the depot's were large and so the heat had to cover a large space.  I also remember the sound of Morse code from the depot.  We used to go and take him his lunch and they were very special people.  But back to being hot, Sacramento was somewhere in the range of 106.  We were heading to the cabin as we had guests coming so we went early as it was only somewhere in the 100's.  The nighttime temps at the cabin were lower than home so we got to cool down.  One of our nights we had a spectacular thunder bumper as out kids called thunder storms.  It came in 3 waves with 3 separate rain storms and lightning and thunder to shake the house.  The night our friends came we sat on the deck and I got these pictures

This is a picture of the Fisherman with Pippi looking at the deer and the birds.

I love the sky when it is amazing, and last night it was amazing.  We thought we would get rain but it passed us by.  We can't see Mt. Shasta from the cabin but we could see the clouds building up in that general direction.

On Tuesday when the Fisherman was doing his Fishery thing I worked on UFO's (unfinished objects). I had to because the Fisherman had the car and my current WIP (work in process) was in the car.  So I rummaged through all the bags I had with me (way too many) and finished them up.

The purple socks were for a woman, me.  But I think I have changed my mind and I am going to gift them to the lady guest.  I only had the decrease rows on one toe to finish.  They are a wool and bamboo.  The men's sock were for the Fisherman so they were acrylic, he wears wool socks but the hand knit wool ones seem to bug him.  I had a few inches on one of the toes to knit and then the decreases.  Socks are my carry in the car knitting and I usually have a couple of pairs in progress.  In fact I think there are another 2 pair somewhere at home to work on.  They are such and easy pick up and go project and even though the purple pair had a pattern, it is called the Broad Ripple Sock and it is in Ravelry.  The pattern is an easy to memorize and follow pattern.  I think the Fisherman's socks are going to go our gentleman guest.  He is also a fisherman and he and my husband love to fish together.  They fish on the Shasta River, the Yuba, the American and a whole lot more.  A few years ago we took a trip with our guests to Yellowstone.  We had more fun and did some neat things, sharing one of our favorite places.  When our children were younger we would go there at least every 2 years.  

This is not a great photo, but it is a baby hat for Niece's future baby. 

And this hat was finished back in April, I only sewed in the threads.  There are a pair of mitt's in the works too, but I didn't find them till this morning, so will work on them another day.  

Have a Glorious Safe Enjoyable 4th of July 
Cheer's All!!

1 comment:

  1. Looking at your socks reminds me I have a pair on the needles that I really should get out and finish. Fall is coming! Maybe when you come up, I'll pull them out of hibernation and set to!

    Y.

    ReplyDelete